Sunday 2 November 2014

United at last!

Last night I stitched diligently all through Midsomer Murders but the programme was not long enough to get my stitching finished.  So today a quick sprint and the final stitches were in.   The four countries are united at last.   I am really pleased with this piece and now must research how to make an accordion book and construct the item.   Well, I need to source some suitable paper first of all.   Wish me luck!
A blog reader asked what Little Sister had given me for my birthday (she gave it to the HD3QBEM to hide until the actual day!) so here's shots of the beautiful wooden jewelry box.

There are cute little button feet on the bottom.   I need help with suggestions for charts/designs that can fit in the 4" by 6" aperture -  bearing in mind that it is under glass.   Any suggestions?   Hardanger or specialty stitches rather than cross stitch only I think.


 Another reader asked to see the finished name tag.   It is really nothing special -  just small with clear  font so it serves the appropriate purpose.   Here's a selfie showing the tag in use and photos of front and back(I used a Japanese fabric from Pamela for the back 'lining')
Other spare moments have been spent sewing up seams and sewing on buttons for the HD3QBEM's knitting.   Great Grandchildren are due to make an appearance in two separate families next March and April so The Great Knitting Splurge has begun.   With gender being as yet unknown and likely to remain so, colours are gender neutral lemon, aqua etc etc.   I'd like to show you a photo of the HD3QBEM's smiling face as she knits, but whenever I point the camera her direction the smile fades into a grimace of intense concentration.   Considering the hurdles of knitting with impaired vision, these garments are truly a labour of love.   And yesterday we went shopping for yet more yarn!!

9 comments:

cucki said...

Beautiful stitching and I love your name tag so much ..so cute..
Beautiful jersey :)
Hugs xx

Ann at Beadlework. said...

Your finish looks great, it's a neat design. I love your box - it'll be fun choosing what to put under the glass. I'm constantly amazed and impressed by what your mum knits.

Bonnie said...

Always enjoy seeing your beautiful finishes. The little sweaters are so adorable and perfectly knit!

Karen said...

Lovely stitching! I especially like your England, Ireland, etc....I'm still plugging along on mine.

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Love the little United Kingdom pillow, especially the Welsh Dragon.
There are a series of Shepherds Bush samplers based on herbs and plants which would look lovely in the box but I think they are portrait rather than landscape.
I am also a fan of gender-neutral baby clothes!

Queeniepatch said...

Congratulations on Uniting the Kingdom. It is a beautiful piece.
You will soon have that jewellery box decorated with a stylish embroidery.
Great work by your mother.

Mary in TN said...

A beautiful box for your "important" birthday. Happy Birthday to you.

Mary in TN

Gillie said...

The pillow is gorgeous, Margaret, so glad the thistle is still part of the whole! Also thank you for answering a blog reader's nosy question about the beautiful box, grin! Beautiful knitting by your mum, I am beavering away on very easy hats for a local mission here in Kalamazoo.

Wendy said...

Your UK book cover is great! it's a good job Scotland voted to stay in the referendum or it would have ended up a strange shape!