Sunday 19 January 2014

Town and Country

Today I enjoyed an outing to what we call "Town and Country".   Hosted by the Embroiderers and Lacemakers' Guild in Auckland, this day long event heralds the start of our Guild year.   Although numbers were down a little it was fun to meet up and be inspired by seeing what others have done and are doing.  
One of the speakers was Lesley who had been a model stitcher for Mary Hickmott of "New Stitches" fame.   I was particularly interested to hear her as that magazine was responsible for me extending my repertoire from 'fancywork' and cross stitch to other forms of embroidery such as blackwork, hardanger and pulled thread.   I owe Mary Hickmott a lot, and after listening to Lesley today I am convinced that I am indebted to the wonderful model stitchers too.   Lesley had created this huge blackwork masterpiece.   Isn't it spectacular?
While listening to her interesting talk I managed to progress on my Hardanger Sewing Pod.   Admittedly my needle rested when I was particularly engrossed in what Lesley was saying!
A fellow New Zealand embroiderer Lee recently mentioned a design she had done years ago for a set of small stitching tools.   Read all about it in her blog post here.   Today at Town and Country I found an autographed copy of the original book containing the design.  

On sale as a fund raiser for Embroidery 2016 conference to be held here in Auckland, I decided it would make an excellent giveaway.   If you would like to stitch this set (and the new addition mentioned on Lee's blog), please leave a comment on this post.   I will have the HD3QBEM draw a name out of Grandma's bowl on Monday 27th.  
I'm off to watch Antiques Road Show now :-)

7 comments:

krayolakris said...

Thank you for offering a chance at this beautiful book. Wood violets are my favorite flower!

Ann at Beadlework. said...

The blackwork map is amazing Margaret, so much time must have gone into that design. The book looks very interesting - it's a lovely giveaway.

Anna van Schurman said...

Back in cross-stitch's heyday, I met Mary Hickmott at a Spirit of Cross Stitch festival. I don't remember much about it. I'm sure my friend ("best pal"), who was stitching New Stitch's wives of Henry VIII, remembers much more about the meeting. Your drawing is very nice; I don't think we get very much from New Zealand designers in the US.

Ellen said...

That looks like a great sewing set, would love to stitch them! Thank you for this giveaway!

Love your hardanger piece!


Hugs,

Ann said...

What a lovely set! I think I could overcome fear of finishing for this one.

Pamela said...

I'm so envious of your getting to attend guild events! You know how I love stitching little toolie things. Please include me in your drawing!

Terri said...

I would love to be entered into your drawing, too! This looks like a wonderful book!

Love your hardanger piece!