Sunday 10 June 2012

A finish - and Amy's Tour Part 8

Good evening all.
I have had a busy busy week but last night I managed to finish my Strawberry Fields Stitching Bag.   Just needs a good press with the iron.  I do think the accessories look out of proportion but they are exactly to the chart and as I won't be using them it isn't going to matter too much.   The colour isn't really really true to life -  in reality it is as beautiful as the name "Crushed Strawberry"

This afternoon I had coffee and cake with my friend Tomoko.   Mr Jones The Grocer has an amazing selection of tempting cakes.   Tomoko chose New York Brownie and I had lemon shortcake. Yummy!!
I am back to working on Kelly's Growth Chart.   What animal am I working on now?   Three shades of grey, black and white -  is that enough of  a clue for you to guess Zebra?   This is the third animal; only a lion to go and then a couple of added extras and I am done.   Please excuse the wrinkles.
And some more items from my basket
This little Quaker Pocket holds a six inch brass ruler.  

My small collection of biscornu.   These can be quite addictive can't they?
A Quaker Pin Cube -  this was a freebie but I can't remember where from.
I stitched this according to instructions but it only reinforced my "I hate Aida" disease.
I made this some years ago and found the chart really hard to follow so was delighted to actually complete it.   The two friends with whom I did the SAL didn't get theirs complete.   Having a little more experience now I sometimes think I'd like to try it again and see if I could make a better job of it.  I do like the M on the back
Now on to some other items -  this Darning Pocket was a delight to stitch but I never managed to find a darning "mushroom" to keep in it.   I remember my Great-grandmother had one but it was missing from her sewing box when I went looking.  So the pocket is empty!

(By the way I have never seen a darning egg -  we always had darning mushrooms.   I had to look to Dr. Google to find these.   The mushroom looks easier to hold don't you think)
This Drawn Thread Bell Pull has never been hung up.   My Aunt gave me the kit and I did enjoy it but there is really no place in my house to hang this as all the walls are pale colour.
That's about all my news for the week that was.   Tomorrow Little Brother is coming to stay for a couple of nights so I am off now to spend the evening in the kitchen preparing the meals for that.
Have a good evening everyone.

9 comments:

Ann at Beadlework. said...

It's great seeing all your lovely pieces. I've had the darning pocket to do but never got round to it. It looks really good when finished. I don't envy you stitching the zebra, I totally dislike stitching with black or white - I need colour. Enjoy your time with your brother.

twinpeakprimitives said...

I enjoyed this post very much. Each of pieces are so beautiful. All deserve every nice comments or words.

All the best

Amy said...

I can't believe how many pieces that you have stitched, I have stitched too. We must have the same taste. I too made the Secret Garden but was not happy with how part of it turned out. I made the Chatelaine biscornu too and I have the pattern for the ruler holder but haven't gotten to it yet. I love the Strawberry Field bag and accessories. Beautiful!

Tatkis said...

So many beautiful finishes!
I love the Strawberry bag, and your biscornus and cube are so cute!

Hugs,
Tatyana

Carol said...

Oh, such beautiful work, Margaret! The strawberry bag is stunning. I'm so happy to have found your blog :)

Terri said...

Beautiful works! Thanks for sharing!

Terri said...

Beautiful works! Thanks for sharing!

pam said...

Yikes! You have stitched so many items in my stash! I have pulled out the green garden piece so many times but the directions are really terrible. Lovely smalls

Anna van Schurman said...

I'm totally in awe of anyone who finishes the Secret Garden needlebook. I was around while my friend worked on it and there was so much swearing! I was also turned to occasionally for interpretation--since I was working on my PhD in English. I know the directions were C-R-A-P! Love your smalls!