Wednesday 23 February 2011

The Earthquake

Some of you will have heard of the huge and devastating earthquake in Christchurch.   Although this is far away from where I live, in a small country like NZ we are never far from connections.   My relatives are all safe but for some of them their homes are damaged.  Thank you for all the good wishes and prayers you have been sending my way.   We sure need them at this time.
The beautiful stone cathedral at the centre of the city, to which my forebears donated the exquisite carved wood baptismal font, has lost its spire and the search and rescue teams have lost hope of finding survivors in the rubble that was the viewing tower.   It is all such a sad sad story.

Photo taken from NZ Herald
And just to let you know that the QBHDEM is tonight staying in the Coronary Care Unit of Auckland Hospital.   They are investigating a suspected heart attack and I am thankful she is in the good hands of the cardiology team there.   Your prayers and good wishes would be much appreciated.
I doubt there will be much stitching here tonight -  the accumulation of crises has drained my energy.   And so Good Night to all.

9 comments:

Smily-Света said...

What a pity! Hope you will be ok there, no earthquakes more and God will bless you!
I lived in Kamchatka where earthquakes are also usual, so, I can understand what it is like.

sheri said...

Margaret, I'm sorry to hear your Mom is in the hospital. I hope she is up and around and feeling better very soon. Sending good wishes and prayers your way.

I have no words for the earthquake devastation. My heart goes out to all those affected by this terrible event.

Take care.

Anonymous said...

I've been so sorry to see the damage and loss of life resulting from the earthquake. I hope that you and your family and those who have lost loved ones will find peace amid the chaos.

valerie said...

Coming from earthquake country, seeing the aftermath of the NZ earthquake is devastating and so sad. Glad you are ok. Sorry to hear about your mom is in the hospital. I hope that she makes a speedy recovery.

Edgar said...

I am so glad that you a safe - hope your mom gets to feeling better very soon. From this earthquake riddled region I know about the devestation that can occur. Keeping you all in our thoughts and prayers!!

Anne said...

I am glad you are okay. My heart goes out to everyone in Christschurch and glad to hear your family is okay as well. My prayers go out to all the families that have lost loved ones.

Denise said...

Many blessings to your Mother and
also, to all the people of New
Zealand....

hohla said...

Disaster! Very sorry for the people!

Mom your health!

Karen said...

I have read a bit about the earthquake and the devastation it has created. I'm very sorry to hear that you have relatives in the area. I pray the damage to their property isn't too bad.

I'm very sorry to hear about your mother as well. You and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers. I hope your mom makes a quick recovery.